This is my running journal. I'm going to track my progress from now until I actually keep running and don't stop because there are way more interesting things to do. And actually run a race. Eventually. I'm gonna do it. Really. I am.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Tracie, I PROMISE

I'm an ambitious, goal-oriented person... but why can't I get out of bed in the mornings anymore? What is my problem? Why can't I get up before 7? I was doing fine all of June, and then July hit with the heat, and now I'm a sluggish sleepy grumpy head every morning. Even after a bowl of Grape Nuts! (mmm-mmm Grape Nuts with milk & sugar, warmed in the microwave... heaven)

I work all day today. I work from 8-5 at my day job and then I have a shift at Victoria's Secret from 5:30-10. You tell me where in there I have time to run 1.75 miles. Go ahead. Tell me.

I AM SO ANNOYED. With myself. Why can't I get up when my alarm clock goes off at 5:30a? Why do I hit snooze and turn the other way? I'm gonna die when I run at Yokuts Park a week from Saturday.

I guess it's a bad habit I've been cultivating for the past month. I need to get out of this sleep-in slut rut I'm currently habitating.

Help? Motivation to get out of bed? What can I do?

I think I make too many allowances for myself. I break promises to myself. Last night, I promised myself I would get out of bed and go running. But when 5:30a came, the alarm clock rang, and I said, Oh Tracie, you're working 13.5 hours today, you really need the sleep instead. And I promptly rolled over and fell right back asleep. I'm REALLY good at rationalizing why I don't need to get up when the alarm clock rings. I think the snooze button is the worst invention ever because it's an enabler to my procrastination.

I seriously need to take seriously the promises I make to myself.

Here's what I'm going to write in my mental Book of Decisions:
I WILL get up with the alarm clock.
I WON'T EVER hit the snooze button anymore.
I WILL get up and run because getting in shape for my first 5k is more important than 20 or 30 more minutes of sleep.

That's what Diet Coke is for, right?

2 comments:

The Liddells said...

Once you figure out what will work to get you out of bed, let me know! By the way, I left you a comment on your other blog, but it doesn't look like you go on it very much. Just wanted to let you know

Shawna said...

Getting out of bed in the morning is so hard! I have a sneaking suspicion that it's made even harder by how late I stay up...
I am not a morning person.